Buying the best automotive paint gun is easy if you know how and where to look. Though auto painting is not a sophisticated process, a special paint gun has some significant effect on the quality of your work. There are different kinds of paint guns available in the market. Some are cheap while others are expensive.
If you are looking for a quality painting gun, then you have to know what to look for. I’ve been in the automotive retail trade for over 20 years and I can tell you that this is very important knowledge to have. Especially because there are so many brands that claim their automotive paint guns are the best. It is confusing, right? But don’t worry, in this blog post, we are going to fill you in on all the details.
- 1 Different Types of Automotive Paint Guns
- 2 List of 15 Best Automotive Paint Gun Reviews
- 2.1 1. ANEST IWATA W-400-134G Air Powered Even Coat Paint Sprayer Gun
- 2.2 2. 3M Performance Spray Gun Starter Kit
- 2.3 3. Wagner Spraytech 0529031 Automotive Paint Spray Gun
- 2.4 4. 3M Accuspray Paint Spray Gun System with PPS 2.0
- 2.5 5. ETOSHA Professional HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun Kit
- 2.6 6. Avalon Lightweight Automotive Paint Spray Gun
- 2.7 7. Zikopomi High Power Spray Paint Gun
- 2.8 8. Goplus HVLP Air Spray Gun Set- 3 Sprayguns
- 2.9 9. Yescom HVLP Stainless Air Spray Gun Set
- 2.10 10. DeVilBiss STARTING LINE HVLP Spray Gun for Painting Control 1.3mm
- 2.11 11. Avalon Lightweight HVLP Automotive Paint Spray Gun for Base Coats
- 2.12 12. Avalon Lightweight HVLP Automotive Paint Spray Gun for Base Coats
- 2.13 13. NEIKO 31215A HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Paint Gun
- 2.14 14. GunBudd Universal Automotive Spray Paint Gun
- 2.15 15. BANG4BUCK High-Performance HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun
- 3 What to Look for When Shopping for an Automotive Paint Gun
- 4 Here Are Some Simple Guidelines for Spraying Your Car
- 5 Beginner’s Guide to Painting a Car
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
- 7 Conclusion
Different Types of Automotive Paint Guns
There are a number of different types of automotive paint guns which can be used to apply paint to your vehicle. Depending on your needs, you’ll either want a high-volume, low-pressure gun or a low-volume, high-pressure gun.
To give you an idea of what type might be best for your situation, here are the top five types of automotive paint guns.
- The gravity feed nozzle is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a lightweight and economical tool that won’t break the bank. You’ll also find that this is one of the simplest to clean out because you don’t have to worry about spraying at a precise angle.
- The siphon feed gun is often used for wheel paint application. It will provide the coverage needed for these big jobs, but it has to be stored vertically or it might not work properly. Additionally, since this isn’t as popular as a gravity feed gun, you may have a harder time finding one that meets your needs.
- The high-pressure gravity feed gun is considered more of the professional’s choice. This is the only type of gun that will work perfectly for filling in large measurements, like your vehicle’s entire fender. Because it has a higher pressure, you’ll need to be careful when cleaning because it could leave paint behind on your face.
- The top-mounted paint gun is also considered a professional’s choice. It has a high-pressure, gravity feed system, but it is also attached to a pressurized air compressor. You might want to consider this if you’re looking for a gun that is portable and easier to use than the high-pressure gravity feed gun.
- The spray gun can be used for both indoor and outdoor projects. You’ll find that it is extremely versatile because it works with different types of paint and can be used on your vehicle or in your home. When you purchase this, you’ll need to make sure that it is a high volume, low-pressure gun for the best performance.
You can find more details about all of these at Automotive Touchup Paint. That is also where you’ll find great advice on how to pick out the best paint gun for your needs and how to use it correctly.
List of 15 Best Automotive Paint Gun Reviews
Buying a paint gun online can be very difficult. There are a lot of options available but not all of them are equal. That’s why it is important to look at the reviews before you make your decision. You should read our list of 15 best automotive paint gun reviews so you can find out which one is right for you.
1. ANEST IWATA W-400-134G Air Powered Even Coat Paint Sprayer Gun
- A high-performance center post gravity feed paint gun provides efficient paint transfer for fast coating. LV Technology with High-TEC standards produces a tulip-inspired pattern that complies with regulations for applying specific coats. The patented “Even Coat” mechanism delivers a longer opening, high paint transfer rate, and finest atomization, resulting in a consistent and even finish. Highest transfer efficiency when coating the broadest range of fluid types.
- This spray gun generates a wide fan pattern with beautiful, even paint distribution. Its unique design allows the center cup to mount directly above the spray gun, improving your balance and control. Operating at low pressures, this spray gun is ideal for applying paint on top of primers, clear coats, and sealants.
- The ANEST IWATA W-400-134G air spray gun is an air pressure and gravity feed type gun with low-feed motor housing and requires a compressed air source. Its even coat atomization features include users being able to spray quickly and easily with less overspray at low pressures, while the 300mm (11.8 inches) aluminum installed, high flexibility hose has a swivel connection.
- It also has an ergonomic, side-mounted handle that won’t get in the user’s way when spraying. The gun operates with a range of 3.9 to 7.9 inches and at low pressures up to 29 pounds per square inch. It has a 1.30 millimeter (.051 inch) nozzle diameter and needs a paint input capacity of 160 cubic centimeters (cc). It is made from aluminum for durability. It has a maximum pressure rating of 6.8 bar (98 psi), dimensions of 8.62 x 5.20 x 1.93 inches, and weighs 1.06 pounds
2. 3M Performance Spray Gun Starter Kit
- 3M Performance Spray Gun Starter Kit contains everything you need to get started with HVLP while protecting against paint inversion. Our starter kit includes the 3M Performance Spray Gun, 15 Gravity HVLP Atomizing Heads, PPS Series 2.0 spray cup with 5 lids and liners, and a wooden paddle for mixing. Paint transfers up to 90% easier through propellant reduction, while the gun weighs up to 50% lighter vs. traditional spray guns. The fan pattern creates a full cone, ideal for even spray distribution on all sides of the surface.
- Get a precise spray finish every time with the REPLACEABLE NOZZLES, which feature 5 each of quick-change replaceable atomizing heads in size 1.2, 1.3, 1.4; it’s like getting a brand-new spray gun with every new nozzle. 3M PPS Series 2.0 seamlessly integrates our proprietary disposable liners and cups into your spray gun for faster clean-up and cycle times. Simply use, then throw away: no more cleaning or mixing cups!
- Performance spray gun kit contains everything you need to spray a full range of automotive coatings including solid colors, pearls, metallics, clearcoats, sealers, and primers. Lightest in the industry with a stainless-steel reinforced composite material that is up to 50% lighter than conventional metal spray guns. The impact-resistant spray gun body was designed to perform and built to last.
3. Wagner Spraytech 0529031 Automotive Paint Spray Gun
- Customize and revitalize your vehicle with the Wagner Moto Coat Complete Sprayer. This spray gun is designed to apply low flashpoint coatings such as automotive primers, truck bed coatings, undercoatings, and more. Use it on your car exterior, truck bed, recreational vehicle, or trailer. The sprayer applies light materials, too, such as rubberized peelable coating and auto finishing paint. The sprayer comes with four adjustable tips for the accurate application of various automotive finishes.
- The Wagner PaintREADY HVLP Spray Gun is ideal for automotive and garage projects. The Detail Finish Nozzle applies a smooth, even coat on your automobile surface while the spray nozzle can be used for a thicker, textured coat on truck beds and undercarriages. Adjustability such as material volume flow, pattern direction, and width allow you to achieve precise spraying on your vehicle.
- The automotive paint spray gun is a lightweight, durable and powerful tool for professional-grade paint jobs around your home. The self-contained sprayer features a spark-contained motor with a 39 ft. hose, allowing you to safely and easily move around your project while spraying.
4. 3M Accuspray Paint Spray Gun System with PPS 2.0
- 3M Accuspray Paint Spray Gun System with PPS 2.0 is a distinctive solution for your auto body needs. It produces a professional finish and it can be used on a variety of surfaces, including metal, fiberglass, carbon fiber, aluminum and plastic. Each kit includes one Accuspray spray gun that works with PPS 2.0 disposable lids and liners to measure, mix and filter the paint material.
- This paint spray gun includes 5 nozzles (1.2 mm, 1.3 mm, 1.4 mm, 1.8 mm, and 2 mm), 1 plastic paint cup, and 5 disposable lids with integrated locking collar (4 with 200-micron filter and 1 with 125-micron filter). This 3M handheld HVLP paint gun also comes with 5 disposable liners and 3 sealing plugs to prevent dried material buildup in your gun.
- The 3M Accuspray One Series Spray Gun with PPS 2.0 is designed to help make painting easier and faster for the professional user. Every Accuspray atomizing head can be used five to 10 times – which can result in as much as 75 percent material cost savings versus disposable spray cups and filters while reducing productivity losses associated with cleanup. This spray gun can be used to spray materials such as paints and stains, varnishes, urethanes, basecoats, undercoats, primers, sealers, clear coats, gel coats, and sprayable adhesives.
- For the best finish and low paint waste, use the 3M Accuspray Paint Spray Gun System for your project. Whether you’re an at-home do-it-yourselfer or a professional painter, this system gives you consistent results and 6X less overspray than traditional guns. Rely on the PPS Series 2. 0 multi-purpose spray gun system to help provide a faster way to prep, prime, and paint. Use up to 70% less cleaning solvent, and shorten prep and cleanup time by as much as 50% compared with conventional metal paint cup systems.
5. ETOSHA Professional HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun Kit
- Etosha HVLP spraying gun is a professional spray gun that uses high-capacity atomization technology to provide high transfer efficiency and high capacity of paint saving. The gravity feeding design effectively reduces waste of residual material in color cups and provides accurate results for maximum efficiency. The nozzles are made of high-quality stainless steel, easier to clean, longer service life. Provides better results for large area spraying
- Etosha Professional HVLP Gravity Feed Air Gun Kit uses high-quality components, which are designed to deliver fast results and provide a perfect finish for all kinds of paint applications. It comes with 3 different sizes of nozzle spray guns, 3 knobs for full adjustment: fluid, pattern, and air pressure control.
- In addition, our spray gun kit is great for basecoats, clearcoats, and other high viscosity coatings spraying. Moreover, it can be used for domestic primer, industrial primer, topcoat and detailing for automotive cars, equipment/furniture painting, etc.
- This Etosha Air Spray Gun Kit is perfect for any automotive or professional paint job. Your multi-use spray gun kit includes (3) HVLP paint spray guns of different sizes (1.0mm/ 1.4mm/ 1.7mm), (3) Stainless Steel paint cups, a Locking Air Regulator with Pressure Gauge, 3 Spanner Wrenches, 2 Cleaning Brushes, 5 Extra Filters, and more.
6. Avalon Lightweight Automotive Paint Spray Gun
- Our TRI-U spray gun is suitable for applying base coats and clear coats to a professional standard, ideal for automotive finishing. Produce the same smooth finish using different paint types. Compared to the standard V-shape tip widely used within the industry, our self-developed U-shape notch tip coats a larger area at once, producing less spray mist that is easier to clean up. Our patented nozzle technology results in higher transfer efficiency, creating less mess and saving you up to 25-30% of coating materials.
- The Avalon premium paint spray gun comes with a stainless steel fluid tip that has been precision engineered for optimal performance. The nozzle technology of our spray gun allows for large fan patterns to speed up your painting tasks. Gain ultimate control and accuracy with micro-adjustments that alter the spray pattern size, amount of paint sprayed, and airflow. Paint small details or large surfaces faster and more efficiently than ever before.
- Our paint sprayer is specifically designed for faster coverage, with patented technology that speeds up fluid output. The lightweight design and non-slip grip make it easy to operate, while the stainless steel nozzle makes the fan path wider, covering a maximum range of 40cm so you can get the job done fast. It comes with professional cleaning tools, wrenches, an air pressure regulator gauge, and a paint cup adapter suitable for normal POM cups or other PPS cups (STAT/3M).
- This paint sprayer gun can be adjusted to 3 different spray patterns: horizontal, vertical, and circular, and equipped with 3 size nozzles (1.0mm/1.8mm/2.5mm) for any painting projects. You can choose the right nozzle according to the size of the sprayed product and the drying time of the paint. (Tips: Choose a large nozzle when the product is large and the drying time is short, and vice versa).
7. Zikopomi High Power Spray Paint Gun
- This spray gun paint sprayer is a professional multi-functional HVLP spray gun. Compared with ordinary 500W- 550W paint spray guns, it upgrades to 600W, it can greatly save the paint, reduce flying fog&paint rebound, keep the working environment clean, thereby protecting the health of construction workers. It is suitable for many common materials, but in the process of use, you can’t use liquids with a viscosity of more than 100din/sec.
- Zikopomi High Power Spray Paint Gun is the tool of choice for large indoor and outdoor projects. Adjustable Flow/Shape & Easy To Clean: You can control the speed of paint output by adjusting the flow adjustment knob and control the shape of paint spray by adjusting the shape knob to obtain the appropriate paint spraying speed and shape for the project, save paint for you, achieve the effect you want.
- Please clean the spray gun in time after use to prevent the paint from solidifying and affecting the follow-up work. Longer Power Cord & More Stable Base: we also equip this electric paint sprayer with a longer power cord (8.7ft), allowing you to move freely in a larger working area. At the same time, the paint sprayer also has a more stable base, which allows it to be placed on the desktop smoothly and not easily turned over.
- Our electric spray paint gun comes with a lot of accessories that allow you to keep it ongoing. There are 2 Paint Strainers,1 Nozzle Cleaning Needle,1 Cleaning Brush, and 1 pair of Gloves for your convenience. We also include a Viscosity Cup to help you decide the best nozzle for the job. Make sure you read the manual for maintenance information.
8. Goplus HVLP Air Spray Gun Set- 3 Sprayguns
- The spray gun and cups are made of aluminum alloy, durable and lightweight. Coatings can be applied uniformly without brush marks. It is widely used for spraying cars, machines, furniture, instruments, drawings, toys, crafts, and other small spots. The spray guns and cups are made of aluminum alloy, which is durable for long time use. HVLP technology is adopted to avoid over atomizing and save your oil paint.
- This Goplus HVLP Air Spray Gun Kit is a must-have for car lovers and artists. It is light, with advanced technology, guarantees better atomization and high transfer efficiency, saving time and labor for you. No matter where you need to use it, just take the box and then start your work.
- This product includes 3 different-size nozzles accommodating a variety spectrum of coatings. It comes with a sector painting range. It has high efficiency and low waste. Equipped with an auto-regulation function, you can adjust the pressure without an extra nozzle or filter. All products have passed Europe and America testing standards.
- The 3 Spray Guns with Cups are ideal for spraying base-coats and clear-coats. This set comes with a 5.6 in. digital gauge to measure air pressure at the gun, along with a locking valve to prevent accidental changes,3 x Air Regulator + 1 x Pressure Gauge, 6 x Cups & Lids, 1 x 9.8 ft Recoil Air Hose, 3 x 20 oz Aluminum Cup and 3 x 14 oz Plastic Cups, 1 x Paint Strainer 10pcs, 2 x Cleaning Brushes and easy-to-follow instructions to make this kit a must-have for all auto body shops.
9. Yescom HVLP Stainless Air Spray Gun Set
- This Yescom HVLP spray gun kit is designed for base coat, clear coat, and most automotive paints. The professional high volume low pressure (HVLP) gravity feed spray gun features 3 control knobs for precise adjustments – fluid, pattern, and air pressure controls.
- This refinish spray gun set has a premium chrome plated body with an anodized aluminum needle & nozzle with tungsten carbide tips. We have included two 1000ml and one 100ml aluminum cup with lids plus a cleaning brush to keep your HVLP sprayer in top-notch working condition for years to come.
- The HVLP air spray gun set comes with an air regulator with a gauge as free gift. This spray gun kit comes with a Stainless steel nozzle and needle to allow the use of aqueous-based paint for a long time. Also, it comes with 3 sizes of nozzle sets (1.0mm, 1.4mm, 1.8mm).
10. DeVilBiss STARTING LINE HVLP Spray Gun for Painting Control 1.3mm
- If you are planning to paint your automotive but are worried about the finish and wastage of materials, don’t worry now. Get yourself this easy to use High volume-Low Pressure (HVLP) spray gun which is designed to make your painting process easier. This is created using high-quality technology so that it gives you excellent results while also saving your money. Start painting now and make you’re automotive more beautiful!
- Suitable for both beginners and professional use, DeVilbiss StartingLine painting gun kit is super effective and simple to use. The gun sprays the paint using the HVLP technique which means less overspray, better finish, faster application rate, and less thinning of your paint. There are no technical complexities in the tool’s working which is another bonus for DIY enthusiasts.
- The DeVilbiss HVLP spray gun offers better finishing in less time. It does not require multiple layers of paint for a quality finish. You can cover a large area with only a few focused sprays. The final coat does not need to be polished at all!
- With our HVLP paint sprayer, there is less overspray in the air which means no cloud of microscopic paint particles on the loose. Breathing the same air or not wearing a mask while working is not harmful to a person’s health.
11. Avalon Lightweight HVLP Automotive Paint Spray Gun for Base Coats
- The Avalon U-20 HVLP spray gun is designed for applying base coats and clear coats to a professional standard. This high-performance spray gun is compatible with both waterborne and solvent-based paint, with one gun you have the versatility to create a smooth, even finish using different types of paint.
- This self-developed spray gun features a U-shape fluid tip that coats a larger area at once compared to the standard V-shape tip widely used within the industry. As a result, less material is wasted and you are able to transfer more paint to your car while saving up to 25-30% of coating materials.
- This high-volume low-pressure (HVLP) spray gun from Avalon offers the ultimate precision for all your paint jobs. Achieve professional results with adjustable flow control so you can fine-tune the amount of paint sprayed and adjust the fan pattern size. Bonus features include a stainless steel needle, a maximum range of 40cm, and an ergonomic handle.
- Save time repairing and painting a car with the Avalon paint sprayer that can be used for base coats and clear coats. It’s lightweight, easy to hold, and provides a good grip. Plus, it includes professional cleaning tools, wrenches, an air pipe connector, and a 1 x 600ml cup.
12. Avalon Lightweight HVLP Automotive Paint Spray Gun for Base Coats
- The Avalon Lightweight HVLP gravity feed spray gun comes with a chrome-plated body, stainless steel nozzle, 1-liter aluminum paint cup, and air regulator. Includes a cleaning brush set and multi-wrench. The 1.2mm fluid tip allows you to spray thicker materials like primers and other medium to high viscosity coatings. You will have control knobs for full adjustment overspray pattern, fluid control, and air pressure.
- Professional high-performance HVLP mini detail sprays gun with a 1.2 mm fluid tip, 150 cc aluminum cup, and a 6 Inch air regulator. Compact and lightweight design. Ideal to use for touching-up spots, panel repairs, door jambs, and difficult-to-reach areas.
- The lightweight construction of the spray gun makes it very easy to handle, helping to reduce operator fatigue. Minimize overspray as you apply primers, enamels, base coats, or clear coats with perfect precision time after time. Full one-year warranty.
13. NEIKO 31215A HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Paint Gun
- This HVLP gravity feed air spray paint gun is a heavy-duty, one-piece all-steel has a rust-resistant stainless steel nozzle and solid brass cap for durability and longevity; Gravity-feed fluid delivery design works together with three adjustable valve knobs for precise paint application.
- This paint spray gun is an essential tool that will let you make professional-looking finishes with ease. The Neiko 31215a paint spray gun works with a variety of materials and its multi-function exerts operational pressure of 40 PSI, working pressure of 10 PSI, and average air consumption of 4.5 CFM. Color-coded 1.7 mm nozzle size is perfect for clear coat and a variety of automotive and household painting projects.
- The Neiko 31215A HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Paint Gun is a solid, reliable tool for your painting needs. Its 600cc (20.3 fl. oz) aluminum cup and lid, metal-air gauge/regulator, cleaning brush, and multi-size wrench for assembly and disassembly are built to give you years of use.
14. GunBudd Universal Automotive Spray Paint Gun
- The GunBudd snaps onto any spray gun cup you have! (so you can clearly see in those hard-to-reach areas!) Snaps on your spray gun in less than 5 seconds! Allows you to spray lower rocker panels, wheel wells, door, trunk, and hood jambs, and even in engine compartments with 100% brilliant light. You will never have a problem with low lighting and shadows.
- This GunBudd automotive spray gun is the perfect solution for anybody’s shop or home garage. It allows you to spray all types of paint better, from PPG to Sherwin Williams. With our paint sprayer, you can easily blend metallic paint, spray a more uniform candy coat, and achieve better results on graphics. AND with the GunBudd system, it’s a snap.
- GunBudd snaps on your spray gun and adjusts to whatever position you need. It helps you eliminate nasty paint runs with a pinpoint beam of light. Most paint runs are caused because of bad lighting in the booth or garage. Not anymore when you snap on a GunBudd! Makes your paint life much easier…No no more tripping on or getting caught up in cords while painting. DIY enthusiasts and professional painters love GunBudd!
15. BANG4BUCK High-Performance HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun
- Our Spray Gun is made with a high-quality body, stainless steel needle, and nozzle for durability. This Spray Gun kit includes 4 different nozzles of 1.4mm, 1.7mm, 2.0mm, and 2.5mm that allow you to spray different materials such as thinned latex, lacquers, and stains, among others. It also features a 1000ml (1 liter) Aluminum Cup and a True Micrometer Air Regulator with Gauge that ensures precise spraying patterns and measurements.
- Bang4buck Air Spray Gun is perfect for professional paint shops. It has control knobs for full adjustment overspray patterns, fluid control, and air pressure. Excellent for clear coats, single-stage, or other light viscosity paints. Contains 1.4mm/1.7mm/2.5mm stainless steel needles and nozzles set to meet your different applications. Lightweight, ergonomic design and easy trigger pivot reduce operating fatigue.
- This gravity feed HVLP spray gun is ideal for spraying base coats, clear coats, and other high viscosity coatings such as extremely high build or polyester primers, thick enamels, latex paints, chip guard, metal flakes, gel coats, liquid mask, etc.
What to Look for When Shopping for an Automotive Paint Gun
Spray tips are basically the same as a nozzle. They are also called nozzles, but spray tips are the more common term these days. This is the part of the gun that sprays paint.
A typical automotive paint gun has two or three different spray tips that can be attached to it. These include a general primer tip, a general basecoat tip, and sometimes a clear coat tip. A few have more tips than this, but this is not necessary for most jobs.
Type of Spray Tips
You can change the way your paint gun sprays by swapping out different nozzles or tips. A larger tip is ideal for thicker materials, while a smaller tip is better suited for thin paints. Be sure to check on the type of material the tip is made out of. Some tips are made out of ceramic, while others are made out of brass. Ceramic nozzles are more durable, but they do tend to be more expensive than brass tips.
A smaller-sized needle will help you spray thinner materials, while a larger needle will work well with thicker paints and primers. The size of the needle should be based on the type of paint job you’re doing. If you’re going to be painting a small area, then a smaller-sized needle would work just fine for your project.
You should look for a spray pattern that works well with the machine you have. The spray pattern can make a difference when it comes to accuracy and the overall look of your project. If you use a paint gun that sprays from all directions at once, then you’ll want to stick with a single-pattern gun so it doesn’t throw off your entire project.
Air Consumption Rate
A paint gun shouldn’t use too much air, but it also shouldn’t use too little. If it uses too much air, then you’re not getting good value for your money and you might have to refill the tank more often than you want to. A decent range for a paint gun is between 5 and 10 SCFH.
It is important to select a product that is of good quality and will last you for years to come. You want a product that will stand the test of time and will not quit working on you when you need it the most. It pays to do your research and find out what others are saying about the durability of the product in terms of how long it lasts, how often there are malfunctions and other areas such as these.
Safety equipment for you and your family should always be included. This includes items such as masks and gloves. Other safety equipment to include are goggles, eye covers, or glasses that will protect your eyes from dirt and debris. You also need to have an amazing ventilation system so that you don’t get an allergic reaction during the course of the painting process, which can be very uncomfortable if it’s severe.
Air Compressor Specifications
The size of the compressor is pretty much up to you, but if you’re just getting started on painting, an inexpensive little compressor might be all that you need. However, if you ever plan on doing a lot of painting, a bigger compressor with more power required would be helpful.
The thickness of your finish coat can be determined by how much paint you are using. So if you are using two coats instead of one, you will need more paint per project. So pay close attention to your primer and finish coat thicknesses.
Pressure Cup Capacity
The pressure cup is what you use to control the amount of paint that’s being sprayed out. The more paint that escapes, the more time you will waste which can cost you money in the long run. So having a good pressure cup on your air compressor is essential in producing quality work and saving time as well.
You may be wondering how much all of this equipment will cost you as opposed to just buying a ready-made painting kit. The good thing is that you can find products with decent quality and an inexpensive price tag. Quality paint sprayers and air compressors are fairly inexpensive, so keep looking around until you find a good deal for your needs. You should do some research on the different brands and models in order to avoid getting taken advantage of by shady dealers.
Here Are Some Simple Guidelines for Spraying Your Car
To DIY your own car paint job, you’ll need to gather all the right materials. The first thing you’ll need to do is sand your car and add a primer to the surface. Next, you will mix the industrial-strength paint and spray it onto the car’s surface. You will then use a clear coat to seal in the paint.
The following steps describe how you can give your car a new paint job at home.
1. Take Into Consideration the Temperature
If you have time, wait for a warm day. If you see any dew on your car in the morning, wait until it has burned off before beginning. If you’re trying to paint in cold weather, your paint will take longer to dry, and you will have more problems with bugs, dust, and dirt.
2. Wash the Car
The day before you plan to paint your car, wash it thoroughly to remove all traces of wax and grease. It is also important that you clean parts of your car that will not be painted. Any overspray will show up on the car as well as the areas that are painted.
Thoroughly sand the area to be repainted before painting. Remove any rust or flaking paint by sanding with 80-grit sandpaper first and then going over it again using a finer 120 or 150-grit sandpaper for a smooth finish.
4. Tape off Your Car
Once you have sanded down the car, use masking tape to cover up any parts that you don’t want to be painted, such as door handles and side mirrors. Use old newspapers or drop cloths to protect surrounding areas from overspray while painting.
5. Apply Primer
Primer is applied once you have finished sanding and cleaning the surface of your car. A primer coat helps the paint bond to the surface of your car and gives it a more professional look.
6. Quality Control
Paint your car in sections — it’s easier and less messy to do it this way. When spraying, first spray on one side of the car and wait for 30 seconds. Then spray the other side and wait 30 seconds again. Try to get approximately four or five coats with no streaks or runs in between coats.
Beginner’s Guide to Painting a Car
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of automotive paint gun is best?
This depends on what kind of project you are working on. If you are looking for a basic sprayer for spot repairs or small projects, there as a few options available including HVLP (high-volume low-pressure), LVLP (low-volume low-pressure), and RP (reduced pressure).
If you are working on larger projects like painting an entire car body or building exteriors, then an airless sprayer may be more suitable for your needs as these types of machines have higher pressure levels and can atomize larger volumes of material at once.
2. How to clean an automotive paint gun?
There are several methods available for cleaning your automotive paint gun, however, the best solution is a good solvent and a brush. You can also use compressed air to blow the residual paint out of the gun.
3. How does an automotive paint gun work?
An automotive paint gun is used to spray the paint on the car. The gun requires the proper amount of pressure and airflow to spray the paint onto the car’s surface.
4. What is an HVLP automotive paint gun kit?
HVLP means high-volume, low-pressure. HVLP paint guns are designed to spray materials at lower pressures than traditional spray guns. These low pressures reduce overspray, saving time and money by allowing painters to use less material. Less overspray also means that HVLP guns are better for the environment because they produce less pollution. The downside of HVLP guns is that they don’t atomize materials as well as traditional guns, so if you require an extremely smooth finish on your project, you may need to use a different type of gun or thin your paint more than you would normally need.
In this review, we will go over several paint guns that are available on the market. We’ll talk about what separates them from one another and how effective they are. We’ll compare the best automotive paint guns so you have an idea of which one works best for you.
While there are a vast amount of paints on the market today, we found that the ANEST IWATA and 3M brand line worked well with our automotive paint gun review unit. The paint goes on smoothly and clearly and does not have chipping or peeling issues.
The finish was easily adjustable using the nozzle tip. The control for thinning your paint card is located in an easy spot to get to and use. When it came time to clean our Wagner Paint Gun we had mixed results, but overall it was simple enough to get done.